I’m writing this in hopes that we can address some of the most common service questions we get from pool owners. If you follow these basic guidelines, your pool will run at optimum conditions.
1. Maintain proper water level in the pool at all times. More water loss will occur during hot weather and extended periods of no rain.
2. Your pool filter should run about 8-10 hours during peak season. It’s best to keep the water circulating during the hottest parts of the day. If you leave your pool running throughout the year, you can lessen the amount of hours you run the filter in the winter to 5 or 6 hours.
3. The skimmer baskets need to be emptied at least once a week. If you have a lot of debris in your pool, the skimmer needs to be emptied accordingly.
4. Maintain proper water chemistry. Test your pools chemistry, once a week, with an at home test kit. If you are unsure of how to do this, you can always get your water chemistry tested at a local pool store, such as Leslie’s. Maintaining proper water chemistry will not only extend the life of your pool equipment, but it will extend the life of your plaster.
5. Salt cells should be cleaned at least twice a year.
6. Check your pool equipment regularly and make sure that any O-rings or gaskets are replaced when necessary.
7. If you have a cartridge filter, you should be cleaning the filter at least every 4 months.
8. If your pool is not equipped with freeze protect, make sure you never shut off water flow to any of the valves. In the event of freezing temperatures, water must be circulating through all the pipes to prevent freezing.
Following these steps will protect your investment! Feel free to comment below. As always, we’d love to hear from you! If you found this information helpful, please link to it.